ELCE retrospective
Adriaan de Groot
2018-10-28 15:50:13 UTC
# Booth Stuff

- Finding out the booth (table) size is important. We had a much larger
tablecloth than the table. Understandable, since the cloth was bought with
FOSDEM table sizes in mind.
- Some improvisation for hanging up the table cloth as a banner was well-
worth it. This way the cloth was still useful.
- The roll-ups are *essential* unless you have other arresting visual
material tomake it clear that there is a booth there. Every other stand had
something, but I noticed that the booths with "boring" backgrounds got less
attention. Konqui is cute and colorful, that helps.
- The A4 printouts in vertical stands were nice -- would have been more
effective on a bigger table. They provide labeling and make it easier to point
to things. They only make sense if there's physical "stuff" on the table to
talk about (e.g. devices) or we have specific things to promote.

# Booth Consumables

- The "KDE Frameworks" pamphlet is reasonably up-to-date, but at which events
would it make sense to hand out? I had some with me, but this did not seem
like the right event.
- The KDE Plasma pamphlet is out of date; I didn't bother.
- Does KDE even *have* a membership programme anymore? (Oh, gosh, Join the
Game still exists .. I thought that was retired *years* ago) (also the photos
in "the People" bit show lots of people who are no longer involved). In any
case I didn't bring those pamphlets either.
- Stickers are good. What we *don't* have that much of are basic "KDE"
stickers, Plasma stickers. At this booth we had KDE-edu stickers (there's an
issue there with the domain, Paul needs to look at transferring stuff). Also
GCompris, which is always fun. But no KDE-applications type stickers, and not
much Krita. Granted, this was an conference not-geared towards any of those,
but it's fun to give away.
- The "you are here" stickers didn't work very well. They're so big, people
don't recognize them as stickers. I think they would do well either as roll-
ups or as A4 prints.
- Know beforehand if it's a "sell-t-shirts" kind of conference or not.
- Know which T-shirts to give away to a good cause (I used 1 Akademy Almeria
and 2 KDE India shirts for this purpose).

# Booth Coordination

- Having a separate Telegram channel for coordinating (who-is-where-when) is
a good thing. Doing preparations over Telegram I'm not so convinced. But then,
I really dislike nearly all IM solutions.
- Make sure it's clear who is where, when. I was a bit surprised to miss Paul
on the last day. Also, attending talks should be coordinated (Jon did that, it
was fine).
- Make friends with the booths around you. They can cover. Dan from FLOSS
weekly (?) hung around enough to be able to do our stand as well.

# Messaging

- It was good to have talked about the message and purpose of the stand
beforehand (e.g. demonstrate devices, Plasma running on "small stuff", etc..).
A briefing the evening before would have been even better.
- With a 3-day event, you can hone the presentation of the talking points
some. I liked Jon's "come back home" message to the KDE3 and KDE4 people.

# Future work

- Updating https://community.kde.org/Promo/Events and the tree underneath ..
in particular, linking to files and materials .. I know there's stickers and
other designs *somewhere* but I need to ask Jon everytime.
- Make an A4 printout for the vertical stand about "KDE the Community" and
"KDE Plasma" and similar, to explain the common sticking-points.

[ade] (incomplete)
Scott Harvey
2018-10-28 16:44:22 UTC
I have a thing for goodies and giveaways. I'll look into what's
available. UnixStickers.com used to have a nice selection of KDE
stickers, include the K-Gear logo, but they've since reorganized and
become a print-on-demand shop. We can make this a separate task and I'll
find out minimum order sizes and prices. I know there's some seriously
fun stuff we can get our logo printed on.

-Scott
but it's fun to give away.
Jos Poortvliet
2018-10-30 15:46:28 UTC
Post by Scott Harvey
I have a thing for goodies and giveaways. I'll look into what's
available. UnixStickers.com used to have a nice selection of KDE
stickers, include the K-Gear logo, but they've since reorganized and
become a print-on-demand shop. We can make this a separate task and I'll
find out minimum order sizes and prices. I know there's some seriously
fun stuff we can get our logo printed on.
For cheap stuff, https://www.flyeralarm.com is unbeatable - 10K 4x4 square
stickers, outdoor quality, full color with unprinted area white for 112 euro.

That comes to ~1.1ct per sticker ;-)

The quality isn't special but not too shabby. Do note that color does come
out... Flexibly... So a 2nd batch might look slightly off.

We use flyeralarm for our Nextcloud stickers, the rounded version, might be a
few euro's extra.

Now yes, the stickers from UnixStickers.com are MUCH better quality, VERY nice
for sure. I'd consider those if you ask money for the stickers - they cost in
the area of an euro each, quickly, so selling them for that or a bit more
makes sense.

Free standard, basic KDE stickers and some shaped, very nice looking ones paid
from UnixStickers might be a worthy combo.
Post by Scott Harvey
-Scott
--
Jos Poortvliet
Head of Marketing

oOo - Nextcloud Files, Groupware & Talk
Keep your data secure and under your control

T +49 171 121 7528
W https://nextcloud.com

Nextcloud GmbH
Hauptmannsreute 44A, 70192 Stuttgart, Germany
T +49 711 25 24 28 90
GF: Frank Karlitschek, Niels Mache
HRB 227086 (AG München)
Scott Harvey
2018-10-30 16:29:27 UTC
Hi Jos,

A quick search the other day pointed me to StickerMule.com - they do
die-cut stickers, labels, and magnets. They're US-based (as am I), but
they have free shipping to the EU. That's a big win.

The quality looks very good and they've got a roster of other
organizations that have used them: Google, Amazon, PayPal, etc.

I personally think die-cut stickers look significantly more
professional, although that comes at a price.

Perhaps we should start a Phabricator task, work out some prices, work
out some designs, and see how much money we're talking about.

And find out how much room Ade has to store all this stuff. ;-)
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Scott Harvey
[...]
Post by Scott Harvey
-Scott
Jos Poortvliet
2018-10-30 17:01:42 UTC
Let me use the right mail address :(
Post by Scott Harvey
Hi Jos,
A quick search the other day pointed me to StickerMule.com - they do
die-cut stickers, labels, and magnets. They're US-based (as am I), but
they have free shipping to the EU. That's a big win.
The quality looks very good and they've got a roster of other
organizations that have used them: Google, Amazon, PayPal, etc.
I personally think die-cut stickers look significantly more
professional, although that comes at a price.
Certainly true.
Post by Scott Harvey
Perhaps we should start a Phabricator task, work out some prices, work
out some designs, and see how much money we're talking about.
I'd suggest to try and keep this simple, though - depending on what the
stickers are for, it might make sense to first order a quick 10K sticker order
to just hand out like they cost pretty much nothing (as they don't) and then
get fancier designs for a higher price second. Budget request for Eur 120 for
10K stickers, then another for stickers-to-sell is easier than make one big
plan ;-)

The 10K stickers can be at Ade's place in a week, or split over the KDE office
and his place, and then we got 'standard' stickers covered. Then the fancier
ones you can take some time for.

Just my 10 cent on that...
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Scott Harvey
[...]
Post by Scott Harvey
-Scott
Post by Adriaan de Groot
- Stickers are good. What we *don't* have that much of are basic "KDE"
stickers, Plasma stickers. At this booth we had KDE-edu stickers (there's
an issue there with the domain, Paul needs to look at transferring
stuff). Also GCompris, which is always fun. But no KDE-applications type
stickers, and not much Krita. Granted, this was an conference not-geared
towards any of those, but it's fun to give away.
--
Disclaimer:
find me on blog.jospoortvliet.com
Jos Poortvliet
2018-10-30 19:30:43 UTC
Post by Scott Harvey
Perhaps we should start a Phabricator task, work out some prices, work
out some designs, and see how much money we're talking about.
I'd suggest to try and keep this simple, though - depending on what the
stickers are for, it might make sense to first order a quick 10K sticker
order to just hand out like they cost pretty much nothing (as they don't)
and then get fancier designs for a higher price second. Budget request for
Eur 120 for 10K stickers, then another for stickers-to-sell is easier than
make one big plan ;-)
The 10K stickers can be at Ade's place in a week, or split over the KDE
office and his place, and then we got 'standard' stickers covered. Then the
fancier ones you can take some time for.
Just my 10 cent on that...
Jonathan made me volunteer to print 2x 10K stickers for FOSDEM. I'd print:
* 3cm square, standard KDE logo: the top-left one from
https://www.kde.org/stuff/clipart.php
* 2.1 x 6.8 cm KDE Neon

The price would, for the 20K stickers, come to under Euro 250 including tax
(~70 and ~170).

So these would just be as give-away, dirt-cheap.

I would suggest that on top, Scott, you pick a design or two or three or more
that would make nice, fancy stickers we an print at stickermule or
UnixStickers and we use to give away for a donation-of-choice or a euro/dollar
or so. Could just be a selection of our amazing konqi mascottes, they are
popular and very nice looking.

Thoughts?
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Scott Harvey
[...]
Post by Scott Harvey
-Scott

HRB 227086 (AG München)
Paul Brown
2018-10-31 10:50:45 UTC
Post by Jos Poortvliet
* 3cm square, standard KDE logo: the top-left one from
https://www.kde.org/stuff/clipart.php
* 2.1 x 6.8 cm KDE Neon
The price would, for the 20K stickers, come to under Euro 250 including tax
(~70 and ~170).
So these would just be as give-away, dirt-cheap.
I would suggest that on top, Scott, you pick a design or two or three or
more that would make nice, fancy stickers we an print at stickermule or
UnixStickers and we use to give away for a donation-of-choice or a
euro/dollar or so. Could just be a selection of our amazing konqi
mascottes, they are popular and very nice looking.
Thoughts?
Re this last thing. We are waiting for Tyson Tan to get back to use with new
designs of Konqui and Katie using mobiles. Could we wait until these designs
arrive before you make an order?
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Scott Harvey
[...]
Post by Scott Harvey
-Scott
Post by Adriaan de Groot
- Stickers are good. What we *don't* have that much of are basic
"KDE"
stickers, Plasma stickers. At this booth we had KDE-edu stickers (there's
an issue there with the domain, Paul needs to look at transferring
stuff). Also GCompris, which is always fun. But no KDE-applications type
stickers, and not much Krita. Granted, this was an conference not-geared
towards any of those, but it's fun to give away.
--
Promotion & Communication

www: http://kde.org
Mastodon: https://mastodon.technology/@kde
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kde/
Jos Poortvliet
2018-10-31 11:56:39 UTC
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Jos Poortvliet
* 3cm square, standard KDE logo: the top-left one from
https://www.kde.org/stuff/clipart.php
* 2.1 x 6.8 cm KDE Neon
The price would, for the 20K stickers, come to under Euro 250 including tax
(~70 and ~170).
So these would just be as give-away, dirt-cheap.
I would suggest that on top, Scott, you pick a design or two or three or
more that would make nice, fancy stickers we an print at stickermule or
UnixStickers and we use to give away for a donation-of-choice or a
euro/dollar or so. Could just be a selection of our amazing konqi
mascottes, they are popular and very nice looking.
Thoughts?
Re this last thing. We are waiting for Tyson Tan to get back to use with new
designs of Konqui and Katie using mobiles. Could we wait until these
designs arrive before you make an order?
As I wouldn't print Konqi stickers but just the standard, line-art KDE logo, I
don't think it makes a difference, correct?
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Scott Harvey
[...]
Post by Scott Harvey
-Scott

HRB 227086 (AG München)
Scott Harvey
2018-10-31 12:40:19 UTC
Paul, Adriaan... I added your names to the Phab task I created yesterday to
keep track of all this. Easier than an endless email chain.

-Scott
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Scott Harvey
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Scott Harvey
-
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Scott Harvey
Post by Jos Poortvliet
ones
paid from UnixStickers might be a worthy combo.
Post by Scott Harvey
-Scott
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Scott Harvey
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Paul Brown
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Scott Harvey
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Scott Harvey
Post by Adriaan de Groot
stuff). Also GCompris, which is always fun. But no
KDE-applications
type
stickers, and not much Krita. Granted, this was an conference
not-geared
towards any of those, but it's fun to give away.
--
Jos Poortvliet
Head of Marketing
oOo - Nextcloud Files, Groupware & Talk
Keep your data secure and under your control
T +49 171 121 7528
W https://nextcloud.com
Nextcloud GmbH
Hauptmannsreute 44A, 70192 Stuttgart, Germany
T +49 711 25 24 28 90
GF: Frank Karlitschek, Niels Mache
HRB 227086 (AG MÃŒnchen)