kde 42 visual guide
j***@gmail.com
2009-01-02 13:13:40 UTC
another invite to have a look at the visual guide! There are quite a few
pieces in BOLD on which I need feedback. There are questions about plasma,
games, edu and the lower-level library stuff.

Please try to help if you can spare some time!

kde 42 visual guide
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=d6vb6xc_1shgd8nhr&invite=gmf6ds8

Luca Beltrame
2009-01-02 13:38:10 UTC
I'm taking a look for some Plasma related bits, I'll fill in what I know.
Dotan Cohen
2009-01-02 13:48:34 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
another invite to have a look at the visual guide! There are quite a few
pieces in BOLD on which I need feedback. There are questions about plasma,
games, edu and the lower-level library stuff.
Please try to help if you can spare some time!
kde 42 visual guide
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=d6vb6xc_1shgd8nhr&invite=gmf6ds8
Thanks for your hard work! Can you please host the file somewhere
where those who do not have a Google account could access it? Thanks.
--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Mark Kretschmann
2009-01-02 14:34:07 UTC
Post by Dotan Cohen
Post by j***@gmail.com
another invite to have a look at the visual guide! There are quite a few
pieces in BOLD on which I need feedback. There are questions about plasma,
games, edu and the lower-level library stuff.
Please try to help if you can spare some time!
kde 42 visual guide
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=d6vb6xc_1shgd8nhr&invite=gmf6ds8
Thanks for your hard work! Can you please host the file somewhere
where those who do not have a Google account could access it? Thanks.
Again, drop the tinfoil hat (those look silly), and create an account.
--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer

Torsten Rahn
2009-01-02 15:05:23 UTC
Post by Mark Kretschmann
Post by Dotan Cohen
Thanks for your hard work! Can you please host the file somewhere
where those who do not have a Google account could access it? Thanks.
Again, drop the tinfoil hat (those look silly), and create an account.
You're mistaking a tinfoil hat with a free software hat.

Could I get one of those hats, too?

Thank you.

Torsten

Wade Olson
2009-01-02 15:42:09 UTC
Post by Torsten Rahn
Post by Mark Kretschmann
Post by Dotan Cohen
Thanks for your hard work! Can you please host the file somewhere
where those who do not have a Google account could access it? Thanks.
Again, drop the tinfoil hat (those look silly), and create an account.
You're mistaking a tinfoil hat with a free software hat.
Says the guy who is building MARBLE (Monitoring All Republics, Banishing
Liberty Everywhere) with upcoming spy satellite plug-ins.
Jos Poortvliet
2009-01-02 15:22:04 UTC
If you have any suggestions - let me know. I personally have no
problem with google but if you know a better solution that would be
ok. I would for example love good collaborative features in koffice...
Meanwhile i can send you the document and you can send me a diff.
Dotan Cohen
2009-01-02 21:54:27 UTC
Post by Jos Poortvliet
If you have any suggestions - let me know. I personally have no
problem with google but if you know a better solution that would be
ok. I would for example love good collaborative features in koffice...
Meanwhile i can send you the document and you can send me a diff.
I am sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread!

I do have a google account (posting from gmail in fact) but I think
that sharing my email address to read a public document is not only
redundant, but a bad precedent to set. You can send to me the document
(even in .doc format, I no zealot) or host it in any number of *bin or
*share websites. Better yet, wikis are _designed_ especially for this
purpose.

Aaron J. Seigo
2009-01-03 02:48:43 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
another invite to have a look at the visual guide! There are quite a few
pieces in BOLD on which I need feedback. There are questions about plasma,
games, edu and the lower-level library stuff.
"You can detach a progress or notification by grabbing it by the title bar
moving it onto the destop workspace. It will remain there until the notication
times out, the download finishes or you decide to re-attach it by clicking the
icon just left of the close button (this seems disabled in the last build of
Plasma?). "

no, it's still there.

"(this never works for me. Should it, or should I remove this paragraph?)"

global shortcuts work just fine here?

" * Plasma On Screensaver
I'd love to write about this but it definitely doesn't work properly here...
Will it for 4.2 final?
"

you'll have to define "work properly", but Chani did a great number of fixes
in the last week to bring it to working status.

" * Activity<->Virtual Desktop Affinity (no UI)
It's cool but should I write about it? And how does it work? Aaron? "

no, you shouldn't write about it =) it's an experimental feature right now and
not one i really want being publicized much for 4.2. it's there so we can
start getting some user-testers on it (which they already have started
doing!), but it's certainly not ready for prime-time, nor is it meant to be
for 4.2.

" * Keyboard Shortcut Config UI
Doesn't do anything here. Should it? If it does, somebody can write about it
(probably won't be me, won't have time)"

it allows you to assign a keyboard shortcut to the widget. nothing fancier
than that =) it's then up to the widget to do *something* when it's activated.

"* Jolie in Plasma - need to ask somebody to explain benefits more clearly..."

this is another for-4.3 item.

hth in some small way..
--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se

Jos Poortvliet
2009-01-03 12:43:43 UTC
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
Post by j***@gmail.com
another invite to have a look at the visual guide! There are quite a few
pieces in BOLD on which I need feedback. There are questions about plasma,
games, edu and the lower-level library stuff.
"You can detach a progress or notification by grabbing it by the title bar
moving it onto the destop workspace. It will remain there until the notication
times out, the download finishes or you decide to re-attach it by clicking the
icon just left of the close button (this seems disabled in the last build of
Plasma?). "
no, it's still there.
Yeah, I noticed that after a recompile.
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
"(this never works for me. Should it, or should I remove this paragraph?)"
global shortcuts work just fine here?
Plasmoid shortcuts still don't here. I can navigate among widgets
using the tab key (lovely, just discovered that) but assigning
ctrl-alt-z to a certain folderview and using the keycombo simply seems
to reset keyboard focus in plasma :(
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
" * Plasma On Screensaver
I'd love to write about this but it definitely doesn't work properly here...
Will it for 4.2 final?
"
you'll have to define "work properly", but Chani did a great number of fixes
in the last week to bring it to working status.
Hmm, last time I tried hitting the configure button, nothing
happened... I'll try again shortly before release.
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
" * Activity<->Virtual Desktop Affinity (no UI)
It's cool but should I write about it? And how does it work? Aaron? "
no, you shouldn't write about it =) it's an experimental feature right now and
not one i really want being publicized much for 4.2. it's there so we can
start getting some user-testers on it (which they already have started
doing!), but it's certainly not ready for prime-time, nor is it meant to be
for 4.2.
Ok.
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
" * Keyboard Shortcut Config UI
Doesn't do anything here. Should it? If it does, somebody can write about it
(probably won't be me, won't have time)"
it allows you to assign a keyboard shortcut to the widget. nothing fancier
than that =) it's then up to the widget to do *something* when it's activated.
Yeah, I already wrote about it actually ;-)
Just a duplicate question, sorry about that... However, as I said a
couple of lines above, the plasmoid shortcuts don't actually work for
me.
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
"* Jolie in Plasma - need to ask somebody to explain benefits more clearly..."
this is another for-4.3 item.
Ok, tnx.
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
hth in some small way..
hth?

grtz

Jos
Ingo Klöcker
2009-01-03 14:46:09 UTC
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
hth in some small way..
hth?
Hope that helps.

HTH

Regards,
Ingo
Dotan Cohen
2009-01-03 15:04:21 UTC
Post by Ingo Klöcker
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
hth in some small way..
hth?
Hope that helps.
HTH
http://www.bash.org/?6460

Jos Poortvliet
2009-01-03 15:07:30 UTC
Post by Dotan Cohen
Post by Ingo Klöcker
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
hth in some small way..
hth?
Hope that helps.
HTH
http://www.bash.org/?6460
LOL now that's funny ;-)
Jos Poortvliet
2009-01-03 15:24:13 UTC
I've been thinking about a more general introduction of what's new in
plasma, as I currently jump to the long list of "what's new" right
away. I've just made this up, comments?

Plasma provides your workspace with a flexible desktop. Plasma fully
consists of replacable widgets, and thus allows you to organize the
desktop however you want. The Dashboard ensures your desktop is never
more than a quick "CONTROL+F12" away so you can have a look at the
widgets to read or add notes, check for news or weather updates and
use the dictionary. In KDE 4.2 Plasma has received many new features,
stability and performance improvements. The developers have worked to
bring back the functionality that was lost when KDE started its
journey towards the 4.0 release and are confident to have reached that
goal, and surpassed it in many ways. Stability has been improved, both
by reducing crashes and greatly increasing the resilience of Plasma
when issues do arise. Plasma monitors its state, and when bad things
happen, responds by restarting itself with a previous, stable
configuration. Close collaboration between core Plasma developers,
Kwin developers and developers of infrastructure underlying to KDE has
resulted in much better performance. There is still room for
improvement but we feel we can safely recommend Plasma on lower-end
(albeit not ancient) hardware. However it should be noted Plasma can
never be expected to perform equal or better than other solutions with
a much more limited scope and featureset.

(last lines just to make sure we don't create TOO many expectations)
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Dotan Cohen
Post by Ingo Klöcker
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
hth in some small way..
hth?
Hope that helps.
HTH
http://www.bash.org/?6460
LOL now that's funny ;-)
Dotan Cohen
2009-01-03 17:36:48 UTC
Post by Jos Poortvliet
[...]
It is a hard read, with too many redundant adjectives. An example is
the word "fully" in the second sentence. Removing it makes the
sentence easier to parse. Maybe native English speakers would have an
easier time with it, but if that were content on a web page I would
have stopped reading after the second sentence. I want facts, not
fluff.

Jos Poortvliet
2009-01-03 19:37:51 UTC
Post by Dotan Cohen
Post by Jos Poortvliet
[...]
Thank you. It IS useless fluff, I trew it away. It prompted me to go
through the document and fix a few layout issues, titles, redundant
talk etc. So the end result was good. In the end I boiled it down to:

Plasma allows you to organize your workspace however you want. It has
become easier to place the pannels, add and move applets around and
configure Plasma.

And I move on to decribing the new applets, then the configuration
including panels etc etc.

darn I just realized I wrote a HUGE document, sorry about that and
thanks for all who managed to get throug it and correct some small
issues! If I can keep this writing up for another 2 weeks and receive
some serious bugfixes & reviews this should be, in terms of text,
pretty much done. Then it comes down to doing the HTML, links, final
pages. Meanwhile Sebas bussies himself with screenshots and
screencasts.
Aaron J. Seigo
2009-01-04 04:40:30 UTC
Post by Jos Poortvliet
Post by Dotan Cohen
Post by Jos Poortvliet
[...]
too far in the other direction imho.

ok, some writing tips:

* short paragraphs. 4 short paragraphs are better than 1 medium sized one,
even if the 4 short paragraphs are actually longer

* don't use the same noun/verb/adjective twice in the same sentence. note that
in the sentence above it begins ends with Plasma. perhaps replace the second
Plasma with "your workspace"

* remember the "introduce, detail, conclude" workflow

* hep the reader to "buy in" by using 'us' and ownership words: "we", "our",
"your"

* avoid jargon, be consistent in what jargon we do use. in this case "applets"
is incorrect. they aren't applets. they are widgets.

* always work towards a goal: what should the reader come away from this
thinking?

that last point is probably the most important. *what* are we trying to
achieve with this bit on plasma? probably 2 things:

1) communicate to people that it's a good time to move from other environments
to a plasma based workspace

2) that plasma is wicked cool and that YOU WANT IT!!!1!

how do we communicate that?

1) show feature parity and ease of use

2) highlight 3 key cool features that are impactful, and mention 3 others in
passing, then hit them with a little data perhaps on "number of new features,
bugs closed". we've been keeping a plasma changelog for a reason ;)

3) screenshots and screencasts

i'm really, really tempted to write this whole part myself, but i'm also
really, really feeling like this work needs to be able to done by others too.
=)

Jos Poortvliet
2009-01-04 18:00:13 UTC
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
Post by Jos Poortvliet
[...]
This is the case for the release announcement. The feature guide has,
imho, a different purpose: give much more thorough information on
what's new.

We have several kinds of target groups with our communication. The
announcement shows quickly what's new and what the highlights are.
Most users will probably be fine with that and won't need more. But I
believe some users want to know more, see what is new and has been
improved. That's what the feature guide is for.

Still, it might be too long right now, not sure how to solve that.
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
3) screenshots and screencasts
i'm really, really tempted to write this whole part myself, but i'm also
really, really feeling like this work needs to be able to done by others too.
=)
Tnx for the comments, keep 'em coming.

Vladislav Blanton
2009-01-04 19:05:31 UTC
This following snippet about plasma was taken from the aKademy 2007 press
brochure:

The new Plasma desktop, available only on Linux and Unix platforms, delivers
advanced window techniques such as translucency, zooming and much more.
The desktop has been revitalized as a place users access collections of
gadgets
and tools to help them work better and enjoy their desktop more. With an
emphasis on beauty and usability, Plasma brings common tasks within easy
reach
of average users with a visual design and harmony usually associated only
with
high end proprietary offerings.
Built in scripting (JavaScript, Python and Ruby) makes creating new
gadgets, or
Plasmoids, trivial, while built in networking and package makes sharing
them a
breeze. All of this is delivered with elegant animations, new interaction
concepts
such as zoom-and-pan and artwork that can be easily toned down or turned up
depending on personal preference and available hardware horsepower.
Written with Aaron's help, I think the above shows good use of language. If
interested, the rest of the press release is available here:

http://akademy2007.kde.org/press/
http://akademy2007.kde.org/press/aKademy-2007-pressbrochure.pdf
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
3) screenshots and screencasts
i'm really, really tempted to write this whole part myself, but i'm also
really, really feeling like this work needs to be able to done by others
too.
Post by Aaron J. Seigo
=)
Tnx for the comments, keep 'em coming.
vlad
Aaron J. Seigo
2009-01-04 04:32:27 UTC
Post by Jos Poortvliet
(albeit not ancient) hardware. However it should be noted Plasma can
never be expected to perform equal or better than other solutions with
a much more limited scope and featureset.
*cough* that's simply not true. if using decent x.org drivers and using plasma
to do the same things you used kdesktop / kicker for, the performance should
be about the same, perhaps even better.

remember, we've run plasma on things like the n810. that's not exactly a
powerhouse machine, and kdesktop wasn't exactly a performance monster (quite
the opposite, actually; it was rather sad how poorly it performed for what
little it actually did)

so i feel this really gives COMPLETELY the wrong impression.

in a more general context: and i find the "oh no, undersell, undersell!" motif
that's pervaded our marketing mood in the last while to be very disconcerting.
don't lose your nerve because 4.0 was misunderstood because of *one* press
release.

the worst thing we can do is undersell. it's as bad as overselling, perhaps
even more so.

i don't know about you, but i really don't want to see our marketing regress
to what it was 5 years ago.

Jos Poortvliet
2009-01-03 15:04:50 UTC
Post by Ingo Klöcker